On Inauguration eve—Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Monday, January 19—please join us in creating an art-filled Inaugural Ball ringing in a new era while establishing a direct conversation with the Obama Administration on how art and culture can help lead the country where it needs to go.
This is part of a national network of inauguration-related events that are being produced in coordination with the Obama transition team. Coordinated by Action Arts League and Theater for the New City, this will be an event that brings together a number of arts groups emphasizing participatory art and New York's vibrant cultural scene.
The event will be held at Theater for the New City, 155 1st Avenue between 9th and 10th streets, from 5pm until late on Monday, January 19.
What is your dream? World peace? An end to hunger? Environmental balance? Bicycle friendly cities? High-tech transportation? A mortgage you can qualify for and afford? Modular body parts? An android in every home?
This is an opportunity to speak directly to our new President. For the Obama website we will be producing a number of short videos presenting artists and participants discussing their work and dreams for this new era. Let's help the Obama administration imagine a brighter future. Let's make our dreams part of the national agenda.
The Lower Eastside Girls Club & The Power of Peace Anti-Violence Youth Coalition are organizing a variety of kids activities with Groove Hoops, Kostume Kult and others contributing.
7-9pm: Theater for the New City curated performances led by Mary Tierney and Crystal Field (full details at http://actionartsleague.org/inauguration/)
9-10pm: Jazz Conductions by Arts for Art/ Vision Festival… A spectacular conduction, led by Warren Smith and Joe McPhee, with over thirty artists coming together to illustrate the significance of this moment in history! Come see this grand ensemble including dancers, vocalists and a growing number of musicians on Alto Sax, Flute, Tenor Sax, Bass Clarinet, Baritone Sax, Trumpet, Trombone, Violin, Guitar, Cello, Bass and Drums. Followed by more performances from 10-12pm… Full details at: http://actionartsleague.org/inauguration/
10pm-2am: Dreams for a New Era- Costume Dance Party
* 10-11:30: DJ Fabian Alsultany (Globesonic) spinning World Music with Dance Parade rallying diverse dancers inviting all to join in. Featuring Parashakti and the Gatekeepers performing a Shamanic blessing to honor harmony, the arts, creativity and cultural diversity, Dance of Venus (Turkish/ Kurdish belly dancers) and performance by Akim Funk Buddha (Urban Asian fusion performance art)....
* 11:30-Close DJ's Arrow Chrome and Reda Briki (Disorient) spinning House, Breakbeats and Electro with colorful costumery by members of numerous participatory culture arts communities.
ONGOING All Day
* Take part in the Dreams Expression (video) Project and speak directly to your new President about your hopes and dreams for this new era
* Help Build the Dream Tree! Add your dream to a leaf for this interactive art project.
* Costuming and facepainting: Stop by the creativity center hosted by Kostume Kult and Halloween Adventure's new 43rd Street store. (located at 311 West 43rd street)
DREAM COSTUME INAUGURAL BALL
10pm and on
$5 Dream Costume $10 Without
Cheap beer & wine cash bar
Participating Community Groups: Action Arts League, Kostume Kult, Dance Parade, Disorient DJ's, Arts for Art, Vision Festival, Groove Hoops, ANIMUS, Metal Tiger, Tribes, plus more being added daily. Participatory Costume Party – Dancing - Art Installations – Live roaming video collective